Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
Wooten-Wootten-Wootton-Watkins-Thomas-Hairston
  • hootiewoo February 2012
    Searching for these African-American surnames from Henry County and Pittsylvania County VA, any help will be greatly appreciated. William and Stephen Cole, Usley Wootton, Abraham and Lucinda Thomas, John and Judy Watkins, Salem and Fannie Watkins.
  • priceac March 2012
    I was raised in this area and these are very common names in the Martinsville and Henry County Area...mainly Hairston. The old Hairston plantation is still there even though some of it is in an industrial park now but the plantation home and slave cabins can still be seen.
  • hootiewoo March 2012
    I live in Roanoke, I wonder if I can come and take pics of the slave cabins. I have the entire cohibition list for Henry County if you need me to look something up, let me know.
  • bcreative222bcreative222 October 2013
    I have ancestors that lived at Flowerdew Hundred and Curles Neck, and other places with the last name, Watkins. White. I have names, but don't know much more. The Watkins lived in Charlote, Henrico, Pittsylvania and Prince Edward Co. I don't know if any of that would be of any help.
  • jstevens25 November 2013
    My maiden name was Wooten. We have traced out roots to a woman name Usley. The earliest information we have about her is from the census of 1880. she was a widow, 45 years of age, a housekeeper and the head of the household. Usley's name does not appear in the Cohabitation List. Usley had four children: John born 1858 Alice 1859 William Edward, and Henry 1866 and John form 1858 had 13 children. Alice (1859 married Henry Clay Harris and had 4 children; Henry 1866 had 3 or 4 children.

This research wascompleted prior to our 1988 Wooten/Watkins Family Reunion. There is also additional information on John Watkins (1821) who lived in Leatherwood and Judy Hariston Watkins (1830?). Their roots were traced to Pittsylvania County Virginia.
  • Queenie November 2013
    Slave owner Samuel Hairston was probably the richest slave owner in VA. I found this link:

http://www.thehairstonstory.com/b1.html

when I conducted a Google Search for Oak Hill Plantation.

It details African-American Hairstons as gleaned through wills, census records, etc. It's sorted out by Plantation Name, locations over several generations. Oak Hill and Leatherwood Plantations are included.
  • Hello All,

My grandfather Thomas Spencer Watkins jr, (92 years old) is the great grandson of John Watkins ( later after the war ( John Watkins Hill ) born 1815-1820 ?Virginia. My grandfather took a DNA test and the results indicate that we are descendants of President Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemmings. Also, we are DNA matches to William Watkins, abolitionist and CME leader . I believe that he was a runaway slave and perhaps from one of these families/ plantations mention in the post. I did a DNA Surname check and we have matches to Hairstons, Wooten , Usley . I know that we have roots in Henrico and Ablemarle Va. I am willing to do the work to connect the dots. To the best of my knowledge , the oldest ancestor is Sally Hemmings African grandmother, 1713 Kenya. We are DNA linked to Hemmings, Cocke/ Cox, Epps and Watkins. Im sketchy on the Watkins details. I look forward to working with you.
  • P.s. John Watkins ( 1815-1820?) was born in Virginia but he ended up in Georgia . I am not sure of his circumstances since some of his ancestors were freed. However, he was in Ga around 1840 based on marriage to Lucinda born in GA.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment