Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
Looking for information on Elijah Micou from Essex County
  • Janet March 2012
    Would appreciate any info. on Elijah Micou, slave of Paul Micou's family of Essex County, who was taken to Mississippi as a slave.
  • mpaaghs March 2012
    The Middle Peninsula African-American Genealogical and Historical Society of Virginia (MPAAGHS), which covers Essex County, has a surnames list at the following URL:

http://mpaagenealogicalsociety.org/surnames.php

To sort the list by "County", click on the "County/City" heading at the top of the table.

If you would like to add to this list, just click on the "Add Surname to Surnames List" link located just above the top of the list.
  • daddycou March 2012
    Hi Janet, I discovered this forum today. My last name is Micou and I was born and raised in Kosciusko, Ms. I'm also very interested in learning more about Micou history. My grandfather (Willie Roy Micou) told me that his family was originally from Newton, Ms. They moved to Kosciusko when he was a teenager.
  • Janet March 2012
    Hi,
    Thank-you for writing, If you are African American then we must be related.
    Have you ever heard of Elijah Micou? He is my great grandfather and I am so proud to be researching his family tree. Please write and we can share our family history.
    Best regards, Jan
  • daddycou March 2012
    Janet,

Never heard them mention Elijah Micou but will ask my father. My great-grandfather was Herbert Micou. Most of my family left Mississippi in the 60's and 70's for the Ford and GM factories in Michigan. I live in Miami now but take at least 2 trips to Mississippi every year . I will definitely keep you updated. My email address is JeffMicou@gmail.com. take care
  • amicou September 2012
    Hi Janet. I am an African American Micou also! My grandfather is a Micou and lives in Mississippi. I have never heard of Elijah Micou but now you have given me a invaluable morsel of information. Were you able to find out anything more?
  • wilkinsons November 2012
    Hello, I was searching for information on this photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mississippi-dept-of-archives-and-history/7976676879/in/set-72157630052199605/

...and came upon this thread.

We have this at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. We do not have much information on it unfortunately, and it is the only photo in the collection. I thought it may be of interest to you.

Best- Walker
  • Janet April 2013
    Hi, I am so sorry that I did not see your message until now. I have seen this picture online and my mother was not sure who the people are. Thank you for being kind enough to post it, and I am going to print it for our family tree.
  • Janet April 2013
    Hi, I am so sorry that I did not see your message until now. I have seen this picture online and my mother was not sure who the people are. Thank you for being kind enough to post it, and I am going to print it for our family tree.
  • Queenie April 2013
    Just a quick question but does anyone have any ideas as to why "Micou" appears as "McCool" in the census records?
  • Queenie April 2013
    There is an Elijah Micou listed in the 1880; 1900 census records. This man was born in Virginia between 1825 and 1828. His wife Rosanna or Rose was also born in Virginia around 1820. They were married in 1850 and had six children, five living in 1900.

The 1850 slave schedule shows John Micou as a slave owner in that area. He was the grandson of a Paul Micou of Essex County, VA.
  • Janet April 2013
    Hi Queenie,
    I think maybe the census workers just wrote how they thought it was spelled.
    Elijah is my great grandfather, I have found out some things about him but I never knew when he was married how in the world did you find that? Did you find anything out about Rosanna?
    Thank-you,
    Janet
  • Janet April 2013
    amicou,
    Hope you have not given up and see this, who is your grandfather? I visit Mississppi every year, and I was just there on spring break. I have found some info. on him at the library.
    Keep in touch, Janet
  • Queenie April 2013
    Hi Janet - Census takers were certainly a creative bunch when it came to spelling. I think that I found it by going through some back queries using Google search engine. There was a old post that said the name was transcribed as McCool.

I found him at the family search website by entering Elijah McCool in the search box. In 1900, he was living in Election District 101, Beat 4 Northeast, Winston County Mississippi. His wife, Rosanna was somewhat older. She was born in Virginia in 1800.

The 1900 census has a box for years married, number of children that a couple may have had and number of children living in 1900. Their daughter Anna was living with them at the time along with three grandchildren with the last name Rosenthal.
  • Janet April 2013
    Hi Queenie,
    Thanks for writing back, I also found that the name Micon was used sometimes, so no telling how many relatives we have from those 3 spellings! Are you related to the Micou's if you are I have pictures of the Rosenthals.
    Blessings, Jan
  • Queenie April 2013
    Hi Janet - No, I'm not related to the Micou family. I've seen it spelled as McCaw or McCou as well. I think that if you look at the 1900 census for Northeast, you will see the other children of Elijah and Rosanna Micou. There's a Mote McCou born in September of 1863; Henry Micou born in March 1866; Frank M. born in 1855 and a Lot M born in 1866. I'm guessing there may have been twins in the family.

I say guessing as I was looking at the birthplace of their parents as being in Virginia.

• Queenie April 2013
    Funny you should mention Micon (I have to look at my notes first) Elija and Rosanna (listed as Rose) do appear in the 1880 census as living in Northeast, Winston County and the spelling is Micon. Their children were Emma (age 21); Anna (age 19); Morton (Mote age 16) and Henry(age 13).

Lot (age 28) is listed as well along with his wife Lucy (age 25) and son, Lincoln (age 1).

Next door to Lot and his family is Frank (age 23). His household included a woman named Amy Clark (age 49) and three adults listed as servants.
  • Janet April 2013
    Queenie,
    Thank you for the valuable time you spend helping me find my roots and being able to know more about my ancestors. Every little bit of information is like gold nuggets for me, I thank God that I live in a time like this to be able to rediscover them. - Jan
  • unllee November 2014
    Hello, my name is Leena Odeh, I'm conducting research for the civil rights and restorative justice project at northeastern university in Boston. I am doing research on the Micou family in fact. I have some information on the genealogy and background of the family, mainly from Choctaw, Mississippi and would be happy to share the information I've gathered with the family. This is the same Micou family that came originally from Virginia. If any of you have any information or contacts to relatives please feel free to email me at leenaodeh@gmail.com. I'd be happy to share more of my research. Warm regards, Leena
  • unllee November 2014
    I have information on Elijah Micou and his wife and children through my research with a genealogist in Choctaw Mississippi. If you're at all interested, feel free to contact me leenaodeh@gmail.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment