Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
Mooney family of Russell County
  • brandonraykirk December 2012
    I am researching the family of Joe K. and Mary Mooney. I have no specific county of origin for Joe K. Mooney, although records indicate he was born in Virginia. I have not located him in one census record with his wife, Mary, or their children. His name appears on the death record for one of his children. Mary appears in the 1900 census for Russell County (Castlewood District) as a 52-year-old widow. She is listed as "white." In census records, Mary's children appear as "mulatto" or "black." Here are the names of her children as they are known to me at this time: Andrew, born October 1871, resident of Russell County in 1900, resident of Russell County in 1910, married about 1912 to Emily "Emma" Yates who had at least five children by a previous relationship(s), resident of Russell County in 1920, 1930 and 1940 census records; William, born July 1873, resident of Russell County; Frazier M., born January 1881, married first to Matilda Ray in 1905 in Russell County, resident of Russell County in 1910, married Geneva ___ by 1920, resident of Wise County in 1920, resident of Avery County, NC in 1940, died 1948 in Avery County, NC; Tiny, born April 1883, resident of Russell County in 1900, 1910 and 1920, no record of marriage, several children who went by surname of Mooney; and Harvey, born June 1887, listed in 1900 and 1910 census records for Russell County. Mary, widow of Joe K., last appears in the 1920 census for Russell County.
  • paigepaige December 2012
    Hi Brandonraykirk,
    I did a quick search for "Mooney" in the UNL database and the VHS online catalog - which can be found at www.vahistorical.org by clicking "Research" or "Search VHS Collections" - and your Mooney family members did not show up in the search results. More tips on how to search genealogical records at the Virginia Historical Society can be found here - http://www.vahistorical.org/research/genealogy.htm

Have you tried the Library of Virginia? Here's a link to their African-American Genealogical Research pamphlet - http://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/guides/AA_Genealogical_Research.pdf - which might provide more information.

Or have you contacted the Russell County Court concerning access to Mooney family wills, deeds, etc.? This would be another avenue to research.

Please check the UNL site again, we continue to add names and information to the database. Thank you for posting a question on the UNL Message Board.

Paige

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment