Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
Slave manifest dated 14 Apr 1827 New Orleans Arrival
  • Ship James Monroe arrived in New Orleans port from Norfolk Virginia with slave named Dangerfield.Shipper owner J.C.Saunders.How can I find information on the owner and plantation he lived on.Dangerfield was born 1806 Virginia,but his parents were African.He is my 2 NDP great grandfather,any help would be totally appreciated.Thanks
    Mazzocca@rogers.com
  • JudyL April 2014
    Run away slaves were frequently sold South so you should check run away slave advertisements if you have not already done so. UVA has some online and you can search historical newspapers through Genealogybank. I suspect there may be records for the U.S. Customs House at the Port of Norfolk, but if they survive I do not know their location.
  • LauranettLauranett April 2014
    Take a look under our Related Resources tab. The three websites: Afro-Louisiana History and Genealogy, The Genealogy Center, and Waterways to Freedom, might provide some information.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment