Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
Henry County - bought female for 2K pounds
  • Henderson1700s October 2014
    In 1780, according to “Abstracts of Henry County, Virginia Deed Books 1 and II : 1776-1784” page : 54 reads:
    pg. 67 : 25 May 1780 : Bill of sale. JOHN HILTON [HYLTON or HELTON other spellings] of the county of Henry ; sells and delivers unto THOMAS HENDERSON one woman slave named Jries [NOTE: I do not believe that is the correct spelling of her name, I would love to know more about who she is] for the sum of two thousands pounds. Signed: John Hilton. Wit: John Henderson (Brother of Thomas) and James (x) Short.

My question is, is there the actual document that has that information? I would love to see this.. and was it unusual to pay that much for one person ..especially in 1780? I do not know if my ancestor, Thomas Henderson had many slaves -- I am curious about it.. but I am more curious about this one.

From learning about my ancestor, he was a man who wanted to make a difference ; was involved in politics and if I was going to guess, he was trying to free her from this Hilton/Hylton/Helton man.....
  • Henderson1700s October 2014
    he bought her for 2K pounds ----> I do not know what the price it was back then... I wonder if she took the surname: HENDERSON or HILTON/HELTON/ HYLTON .... I would like to know more about this Hilton/Hylton/Helton man...

Thomas Henderson was a "Justice of Peace" in Henry County, Virginia in this time .

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment