Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
Abram Penn of Campbell County, Virginia
  • Timothius01Timothius01 December 2011
    Does anyone have information regarding the slave owner of Abram Penn? Abram was born in 1831 in Virginia. He married Sarah Unknown in Virginia. Sarah was born in 1850 in Virginia. They resided in Campbell County (Otter River), Virginia. Abram's and Sarah's children were Jesse Penn, Anthony Penn, Ella Penn, Sally Penn, Abram Penn Jr., John Penn, Benjamin Penn, Leanna Penn, and Ollie Penn.
  • Timothius01Timothius01 December 2012
    Abram and Sarah Penn are in the 1870 and 1880 censuses, and then the historical record goes silent on them, as far as I can tell. My great grandmother was their daughter, Leanna Penn Andrews. I will explore Charles Anthony Jr and see if he bears any fruit in reference to their lives during slavery. Thank you, Brenda!
  • Timothius01Timothius01 January 2013
    Yes, Leanna Penn is in my direct line as follows:
    James Andrews (1837 - ) + Celia Hicks (1844 - ) my 2nd great grandparents
    William H. Andrews Sr. (1876 - 1937) + Leanna Penn (1879 - ) my great grandparents
    William H. Andrews Jr. (1907 - 1937) + Virginia Linthicum my grandparents

I'd be interested in any additional information you have about the Andrews. I have evidence that John Andrews, who is in the 1880 Census living in close proximity to the black Andrews, is the former slave holder of many of my Andrews ancestors. Several of my ancestors' names are mentioned in wills of John Andrews' relatives which passed slaves to him or Patsy Arnold Andrews, his wife. Further, John is the informant in 1879 regarding the deaths of several black Andrews, and he identifies his relationship to them as, "former owner."

My email address is Timothius01@yahoo.ca Perhaps we could talk further via email.

Thanks

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment