Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
Info on Slave Owners of CREED ASHWELL and his wife, SARAH BURROUGHS of Bedford County, VA
  • Timothius01Timothius01 April 2016
    Does anyone have information regarding the slave owner(s) of CREED ASHWELL and his wife, SARAH BURROUGHS? Creed was born about 1825 in Bedford County, Virginia, and died on November 17, 1911 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh. His wife, Sarah, was born about 1830 in Bedford County, Virginia and died on May 23, 1912 in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh. In looking at the 1860 Slave Schedule for Bedford, VA, there is a Mary Ashwell with three slaves listed. Two farms down is a Catharine Burrough with six slaves. I intend to explore other Ashwells and Burroughs in the slave schedule, and also see if perhaps Creed and Sarah were slaves on the two farms mentioned above. As I find time, I intend to see whether there are wills, or other court records, that mention any recognizable names in the Bedford County Courthouse. But if anyone has already done this research, there’s no need for duplication.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment