Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
LILLARD FAMILY
  • unlkenneth2 December 2016
    Hello, I'm researching my African American family with the surname LILLARD in Virginia. My paternal grandfather is Horace R. Lillard, Sr. of Beckley, WV, and my great grandfather is James H. Lillard of Campbell County, TN.

I'm seeking information on my great great grandfather, George Lillard, African American, born possibly in the Lynchburg, VA area (including Amherst County, VA; Bedford County, VA; and Campbell County, VA) around the 1830's. George Lillard was married to Ruth Lillard.

The 1870 U. S. Census shows George and Ruth Lillard residing in District 11, Rutherford, TN (Post Office: Murfreesboro, TN). It gives Virginia as the place of birth for both George and Ruth Lillard. Any information anyone can provide on either George or Ruth Lillard, their family, other relations, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, it appears the Lillards were originally located in northern and central Virginia in the 1700's and 1800's. White landowners by the names of Benjamin Lillard, James Lillard, and John Lillard in the Culpeper, VA area (including Culpeper County, VA; Orange County, VA; Madison County, VA, and Rappahannock County, VA) owned slaves: including those named Aaron, Barnett, Ben, Bridget, Clary, Davie, Fanner, Gabriel, James, Joe, Milley, Nan, Nane, Nelly, Pat, Sary, Simon, and Will.

John Lillard moved (in the 1780's) over the Appalachian Mts. to the Lincoln District, in what was then the western region of Virginia, to an area that would later become Harrodsburg, Mercer County, KY, where he also owned slaves. A number of Lillards later moved from Virginia to KY, MO, NC, OH, and TN.

I'm interested in any information, records, documents, etc. relating to the above mentioned individuals (in particular, the African Americans). Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

For further information on African Americans with the surname LILLARD please visit THE LILLARD PROJECT: African American Families (lillardproject.weebly.com).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment