Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
Searching for Jane
  • unlmeikda March 24
    After reading Benjamin Spratley Manumissions papers on the slave he freed in 1781. I am know trying to research the slave he set free. I think Jane may be my GGG Grandmother. Jane was born in Virginia around 1780. I find her in Union South Carolina in the 1850 census married to a Issac Hardy. How would I go abut researching how she migrated from Virginia to South Carolina. Also I would like to research all the slaves Benjamin Spratley set free. Although they were not all set free at the same time. At the age of 18 he freed them.
    Will age 34, Nat age 27, Lucy age 37, Betty age 26, Simon age 15, Jane age 11, May age 8, Sally age 5, Cuffie age 6, Anarcy 3, Judah age 6 months,
    Jane was supposely freed around 1790.
  • paigepaige March 30
    Hi unlmeikda,
    What other information can you tell us about how you connected Jane to Issac Hardy in Union County, SC.

Thanks for posting on the UNL Message Board!
    Paige

• I don't have a connection but this Jane is around the same age, I know that Jane was born in Virginia. I am trying to find out about Jane. I find that she is in South Carolina around 1804 when she had her son Isaac.
  • I am also looking for the actual Manumission papers since she was not 18 at the time Benjamin Spratley gave her her freedom. I would also like to like Benjamin Spratley will.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment