Are you interested in creating an account for the "Unknown No Longer" discussion board? You will need to request an invitation code. Please email "weboffice at vahistorical.org" and put "UNL Discussion Board" in the subject line.
William Freeland slaveholder in 1830's Maryland
  • Freeland February 2012
    I am an African American whose roots stem from the Maryland, Pa and Va. areas. My maiden name is "Freeland" and I have been wondering about it's origin. I found that a " William Freeland" who was a slaveholder in Maryland and once owned a slave named "Frederick Douglass". I wonder if my decedents who could have had the last name of "Harris" had changed their name to "Freeland" as a result of working for "William Freeland". My great great grandmother was named Ada R. Harris who was married to John H. Freeland. I heard about this wonderful database on the news this morning and have not been able to find any matches with these names.
  • sherylin August 2012
    I am Africn Americn whos roots stem from Henrico County Virginia. My great grandfather, Charles Freeland was born in Virginia (b.1834), great grandmother, Patsy Bryant Crutchfield Freeland (b.1850) in Henrico County, Va. I also am wondering if Charles Freeland was on the farm or plantation of William Freeland. I also wonder if Charles Freeland had roots in Maryland. Both grandparents moved to Saline County, Missouri (known as little Dixie-that's when many white Freelands from Amelia, Henrico, Spotsvania etc moved to Missouri.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In Register and Comment